Sharjah fort was originally constructed in 1820 by Sheikh Sultan bin Saqr Al Qasimi. The original large double-storey structure was built of coral and shell rubble mixed with adobe, and served a multipurpose role as a military arsenal, administrative centre, prison, and royal residence. British records of 1830 note the fort was located “a little inland, mounting six pieces of cannon, together with some detached towers. In case of alarm from an enemy, it is stockaded round with date trees and wood sufficient for repelling the attack of Arabs although of little service against regular troops.”
The fort was almost completely demolished in January 1970, with only the detached North West tower being preserved. The tower remained as a free standing monument until 1996, when it was transported six metres south of its original location to join the outer wall circuit of the newly reconstructed fort as part of the ‘Heart of Sharjah’ heritage programme. The ‘Heart of Sharjah’ heritage district is enclosed by the reconstructed wall of the old city which features a number of restored towers and gates.