Qalaat Jaabar is located on Lake Assad in Raqqah Syria. The site is believed to have been fortified since the 7th century but current structures were built the castle in the 12th century CE. The fortified site was held by the Uqaylid dynasty (with a brief period of Crusader control) until it was rebuilt by Nur ad-Din Zengi in 1168. This is the structure that stands today.
The castle, which rests on a small island that can only be reached by a manmade causeway. This is due to the flooding of the valley in which the castle sits in 1968 after the construction of the Tabqa Dam. It consists of a stone-built wall with thirty-five bastions and a dry moat. The interior features a vaulted hall and minaret. Qalaat Jaabar has been extensively restored by DGAM following the flooding of the valley. Today the castle is relatively well-preserved, though it is not in as good condition as the similar structure of the Citadel of Aleppo.