Latakia is the largest port city in Syria. Settlement evidence dates back to the 2nd millennium BCE, but the city itself was founded in the 4th century BCE by the Seleucids.
The site began as the Phoenician city of Ramitha, and was mentioned in Strabo’s Geography. It became a Roman colony and remained under Roman control for seven centuries. The city then changed hands frequently during the Crusades. Ibn Battuta visited the city in 1332 CE.
Today, the city is mostly modernized with some Roman era remains, such as the Triumphal Arch at the southeast corner of the city, standing in entirety. There are traces of Roman and Crusader-era architecture throughout the city.