Leptis Magna, known as Lebda to modern-day residents of Libya, was a prominent city of the Roman Empire. The ruins of Leptis Magna are located in Khoms on the coast where the Wadi Lebda meets the sea. This UNESCO world heritage site is one of the most spectacular and unspoiled Roman ruins in the Mediterranean. The city seems to have been founded by a group of local Berbers and Phoenicians sometime around 1000 BC. The town did not reach prominence until Carthage became a major super power in the 4th century BC. It nominally remained part of Carthage’s dominions until the end of the Third Punic War in 146 BC and then became part of the Roman Republic, although from about 111 BC onward, it functioned as an independent city. During the Crisis of the 3rd Century, Leptis Magna’s fell into a decline, and by the middle of the 4th century, even before it was completely devastated by a tsunami, large parts of the city had been abandoned.