The Beiteddine Palace, located in Beiteddine, Lebanon, is a fairly recent construction, built in the 19th century CE. It currently houses the Beiteddine Palace Museum.
The main entrance leads to a large courtyard, built to host large processions of the Emir and his retinue. The two-story Al-Madafa wing, to the right of the courtyard was for receiving guests. The upper floors were restored in 1945.
The central section of the palace has given Beiteddine the nickname ‘Lebanon’s Alhambra’, and features elaborate vaulted ceilings, staircases and housed the offices of the Emir’s ministers. Both walls and ceilings are covered in intricate carvings and painted wood.
El Harim, the private apartments at the far end of the courtyard are entered through a monumental archway. This is the most ornate section of the palace and features the ‘room of the column’ in which a single column supports the large vaulted ceiling. The floors are covered in intricate mosaics. This section also contains the kitchens.
Also of note are the Hammam (baths) at the northern end of the El Harim section, which contain a frigidarium and hot baths. Just beyond the baths lies the tomb of Sitt Chams, first wife of the Emir.