Aljoun Castle sits atop a hill in the Jabal Ajlun district of northwestern Jordan. Built in the 12th century by the Ayyubids, the castle was later enlarged by the Mamluks in the 13th century. The original fortress was built by the nephew of Saladin in order to help authorities control local Bedouin tribes. Originally, the castle consisted of four towers connected by walls and a double gate. A 16 metre moat surrounded the outer walls. The castle was destroyed by Mongols in 1260 CE and spent some time in use as a storehouse. It was renovtated by Izz ad-DinAibak, an event commemorated in an inscription on the southwestern tower. Two earthquakes, one in 1837 and one in 1927 have destroyed parts of Ajloun. The castle has since developed ‘suburbs’ and is now the center of the city of Ajloun.