Nablus is a city in the northern West Bank, approximately 30 miles north of Jerusalem with a population of more than 100,000. Founded by the Roman Emperor Vespasian in 72 CE as Flavia Neapolis, Nablus has been ruled by many empires over the course of its almost 2,000-year-long history. In the center of Nablus lies the old city, comprising six discrete districts: Yasmina, Gharb, Qaryun, Aqaba, Qaysariyya and Habala. The old city is densely populated with thriving markets and a number of historic sites. These include the large fortress-like Abd al-Hadi Palace, Nimr Hall and Tuqan Palace.
There are several mosques in the Old City: The Great Mosque of Nablus, An-Nasr Mosque, al-Tina Mosque, al-Khadra Mosque, Hanbali Mosque, al-Anbia Mosque and Ajaj Mosque. There are six hamaams (Turkish baths) in the Old City, the oldest dating back to the 16th century. The most famous – and also oldest – are al-Shifa and al-Hana. Al-Shifa Hamaam. Other historic monuments in the old city include the famous Khan al-Tujjar caravanserai, or roadside inn, built near Mount Tabor by Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha around 1581 for the protection of travelers on pilgrimage and to stimulate economic growth in the city. Another notable attraction is the early 20th century Manara Clock Tower.